Search
Search Login/Out
Have thanks: 20 times

Showroom(beta) Dealership

ZXClub.netRepaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 4th, '13, 21:38

Thought I'd document this. It doesn't look like I've done a lot, but I've stripped all of the awkward stuff away now. It takes a long time if you want to keep as much intact as possible. House FULL of bits of car. Unbelievable how much space car parts take out. How many seals has this car got? Seals upon seals! When I had my car repainted 6 years ago, it was a blow over in the same colour. Now, it's doors off/boot off, so everything needs to be completely stripped as I DETEST overspray. I will not tolerate it.

Trying to keep things out of the garage to give me as much space as possible. This is my little downstairs toilet - rammed!

All that's left to remove now is the rear bumper, aerial, front bumper, headlights, wheel arch liners/trim, wing repeaters, washer jets and glass....and fit 4 beautiful space savers!

National windscreens are coming to cut all the glass out next weekend and that's pretty much it, ready for the paint shop.

EVERYTHING is coming apart - completely stripped the mirrors, locks and trim off of the door handles.

Tailgate completely stripped, just the loom to remove. Rear end also stripped out, lights, interior trim (so I can remove the rear 1/4 windows and all the shit from the roof.

My new Jetta Sport in the foreground....when the Z is at the paintshop, the rest of the garage floor can be painted in grey epoxy!

Doors all stripped down. Just need to get it out of the garage to finish removing the last bit of trim securing only on the forward part. Rest removed and just hanging inside the car.

All the rubbers and securing tinwork removed too.

Head Moderator
Arcade highscores: 1
Have thanks: 59 times

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 4th, '13, 22:20

You have been busy Simon, Its nice to have a garage to strip it down in, I hope to get mine sprayed someday. But wont be for a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dragonback75

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 4th, '13, 22:41

It is a god-send. TBH, I wouldn't have a property without one. My last house had one and the car barely fitted (it's been garaged ever since it's been in the UK). This is a new-build, so you'd not even expect a Z to fit, my garage is huge (as far as single garages go)!

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 9th, '13, 16:53

Well, getting that bit closer. The glass man came round today. Had a nice long conversation with him. He's been in the trade for 20 years and has worked on a lot of high profile cars. He's done work for Elton John and a number of football stars’ cars. So I am glad he'll be removing and refitting the glass on my bit-part Z. He says he’s really looking forward to coming back to work on my Z. It’s something different from the norm for him and, despite its partially stripped state, he thought it was a great car and extremely well screwed together compared to modern cars he works on.

To cut the front and rear screens out, he used this gadget here called a Wibotec. Ingenious little device that you stick to the inside of the windshield with a huge sucker. It is a rotating tensile spring which pulls back after you pull it. I've had windshields replaced before and all they do is cut it with a knife. But this thing is ace and never seen it before.

He threaded wire through the top of screen after peeling back the top seal, rigged it to the Wibotec and pulled it all the way to the bottom.....

...and then went round the top and down the other side.

...cut along the bottom with a knife.

...then out pops the other side.

Then the whole lot lifts forward.

...and finally, the whole screen can be removed. Excuse the dash, it's a combination of window spray the fitter uses and dust!

Now on to the rear screen. Wibotec at the ready!

Same method as the windshield, but a complete pig to remove at the top where other methods had to be utilised. It took a lot of work to remove the plastic clips that hold the top trim on. All of which pretty much had to be destroyed in the process. Refitting will be easier as I have a spare tailgate with blue glass (and top trim) that the fitter took away complete to work on which means he can save the top trim and clips as the tailgate is already out with everything being fully accessible.

Rear screen finally out and boy does the stripped tailgate flex!

Then the rear quarters came out.

...and this is currently how it sits. Just the bumpers, headlights, arch liners and wheels to remove now and it'll be ready to present to the shop.

Few random shots of the Japanese tax and insurance stickers stuck to the old screen. Kind of a shame to be losing these as I thought they were really cool. But losing them is a small price to pay to junk the bronze glass for nice clean and crisp looking blue glass.

Chairman
Arcade highscores: 1
Have thanks: 23 times

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 9th, '13, 20:15

Blimey Si

A full size Zed Kit !

Seriously, hope you remember how everything came out in what order so it'll go back in without hurting any of the new paintwork !

Looking forward to seeing the pristine new finish

All the best

Trader
Have thanks: 5 times

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 9th, '13, 22:23

Thought you'd take those seats out first :-)
What colour are you doing the dark gray/diver bits round the mirrors And Also what are you doing on the front bumper?
Looking good, will be looking with interest

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 10th, '13, 09:05

Zairs wrote:
What colour are you doing the dark gray/diver bits round the mirrors And Also what are you doing on the front bumper?

I am running out of space! The seats stay where they are. I've now put some covers on them.

The mirror backings are either going to remain as they are, which are very good condition, or I might have them done a gloss gunmetal grey. This will be the same gunmetal grey that I will use if I decide to put the large stripe on the bumper between the indicators/fogs.

I really like this look :

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 10th, '13, 13:41

That's cause it's OEM. Hehe, narr, I actually prefer the look of the above to the 'smilie face' 99-spec bumper. Both are nice, but I think the above is a more simple, yet aggressive look.

Well, today, I thought it would be high time for a little 'dash-repair' action (not the most exciting update). Mine has succumbed to the ravages of dash-peel. So with the windscreen now out and in the bin (sorry Nathan, it cracked), it would make life easier.

Actually, not sure that it does? Reason? I'll tell you in a while.

So I bought this stuff. Heard rave reviews about it. It's an American product and is supposed to be quick setting and very strong. Better than araldite. What's better is that it dries clear rather than Araldite's dysentery-beige colour.

My dash looking a little sorry for itself.

Well I had a pack of these laying about, so thought I'd best put them to good use.

They're actually bastards use. I managed to get a bunch of them to hold the dash together after most of them kept pinging off. Now I think it'd be easier to have had the screen in and have something wedged against it. But with that becomes limited space for applying the adhesive.

Well, it should look a lot better!

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 10th, '13, 15:28

It was a bummer as it was in one piece almost until the very end. The wire caught the edge and split the layers and as we pulled it out (slowly and carefully), a nice big 'V' appeared in the middle of it. So we had to junk it.

Rear screen came out in one piece. This is the one I thought would shatter as it was a bitch to remove from the top.

Trader
Have thanks: 5 times

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 10th, '13, 19:38

funkysi wrote:
Zairs wrote:

I am running out of space! The seats stay where they are. I've now put some covers on them.

The mirror backings are either going to remain as they are, which are very good condition, or I might have them done a gloss gunmetal grey. This will be the same gunmetal grey that I will use if I decide to put the large stripe on the bumper between the indicators/fogs.

I really like this look :

That does look good, I can't decide wether to put black on my front bumper or go body coloured yellow again.

ZXClub.net Re: Repaint project - progress Post Posted: Feb 11th, '13, 13:50

I think if you're going to do it, then you need UK spec indicator blanks (drilled for bulbs) and tinted fog lights or IC ducts.

Permissions You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments